http://www.scform.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/shaving.png 584w” sizes=”(max-width: 584px) 100vw, 584px” />
What’s the problem?
There can be a few. Razor bumps, ingrown hairs, cuts and the lack of a close shave.
If your skin is really sensitive to shaving, try using a shaving oil underneath your regular shaving cream to add a ‘buffer’ between your skin and the razor.
If you have a cut, apply a little bit of Vaseline to the area which acts as a ‘plug’ – same as a boxer!
As for ingrown hairs and razor rash, it’s all about using the correct skincare and making sure to give your skin a good scrub before shaving. If you shave against the grain, stop it!
Opt for a shaving oil under your shaving cream if you have sensitive skin. In terms of shaving creams, go for thicker creams in pump bottles or tubs as the aerosol type contain a lot of air – looks nice but all that foam doesn’t cushion your blade.
Pre-shave, scrub the areas to be shaved with an exfoliator in the shower – this leaves your skin smooth and lifts all the hairs in preparation for shaving.
Post-shave, apply a product containing Salicylic Acid – this calms inflammation and also prevents ingrowns/spots from forming.
- King of Shaves Alpha Oil – An incredibly good shaving oil with lots of slip, no residue and a wallet-friendly price tag.
- Dermalogica Soothing Shave Cream – A thick, creamy shaving cream with added skin-soothing ingredients.
- Clinique for Men Face Scrub – Very grainy face scrub, my all time favourite and it lasts forever.
- Anthony Logistics The Perfect Face – A kit containing a high quality shaving oil, cream, glycolic cleanser (which works the same way as a scrub without the grains) and a very light after shave balm.
- Gillette Proglide – My favourite razor, bar none.
- Braun Series 7 – Electric shaving has may benefits over wet shaving, give it a shot with this best-in-class shaver. I tried it and it gave me wet-shave comparable results minus any irritation.
- Paula’s Choice 2% BHA Liquid – Splash a bit of this onto your skin post-shave to calm irritation and fight spots/ingrowns. Follow with a light moisturiser.
- Tend Skin – If ingrowns are a major problem for you, swipe a bit of Tend Skin across shaved areas with a cotton pad daily to keep ingrowns at bay. Works well for body shaving too.
- Menscience Post Shave Repair – Another brilliant post shave product, this is in a pump spray for easy application.
http://www.scform.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/BACK-FACE.png 413w” sizes=”(max-width: 413px) 100vw, 413px” />