http://www.scform.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/acne-scars.png 584w” sizes=”(max-width: 584px) 100vw, 584px” />
What’s the problem?
You have scars left over from acne, they can be flat and red/dark or indented (sometimes called ‘pitted’) scars.
- Flat scars – A tinted moisturiser like the Lab Series BB Cream or Perfekt is a quick way to cover the scars in a wash of colour that’ll tone them down. Just massage a small amount into your skin every morning.
- Flat scars – You need a 3 phase approach. Daily unscreen to prevent them from re-darkening. Exfoliation to expose fresh, less scarred skin and finally pigment inhibitors to fade the skin back to normal. Sunscreen is very important so don’t forget it every day, rain or shine.
- Indented scars – The best and most effective way to get rid of indented scars is to visit a dermatologist for a professional treatment. Look for clinics that offer Fraxel Laser, that’s the most recommended treatment and the before/after photos are impressive. Using a glycolic acid product and sunscreen can help to smooth the area slightly, especially if the indents are shallow.
- Elta MD UV Clear SPF48 – A sunscreen that protects as well as treats pigmented skin, great if you’re clog prone too.
- Alpha Hydrox 12% AHA Souflee – A cost-effective moisturiser that contains a very good amount of glycolic acid to smooth the skin colour and surface, just apply a little bit of this every night. Start slow, it can take skin a week or so to acclimatise to the concentration of acid.
- Acne.org AHA Lotion – A 10% concentration of glycolic acid in a lightweight moisturiser, developed especially for acne-prone skin so it’s unlikely to clog or irritate your skin. Evens tone and smooths out skin texture.
- M2 Skin Refinish – This lightweight treatment containing Mandelic and Malic acid is potent, effective yet very gentle on skin. Use this if your skin is too sensitive for glycolic acid.
- Clinique Skin Supplies for Men Dark Spot Corrector – A lightweight and effective serum to use under moisturiser, use twice a day to inhibit excess pigment.
- Skinceuticals Phyto+ – Pricey but worth it. This contains a cocktial of very powerful pigmentation faders in watery serum.
- Dermaquest Skin Lightening Serum – Another serum packed with lightening ingredients as well as glycolic acid, a nice 2-in-1 for coloured scars.
http://www.scform.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/BACK-FACE.png 413w” sizes=”(max-width: 413px) 100vw, 413px” />