What are they?
A replacement for traditional cleansers, cleansing oils are a massive hit in asian countries because of their ability to deep clean the skin. Western brands have recently caught on to this trend in a big way with many of them beginning to release their own cleansing oils.
How do they work?
The concept is very simple: like disolves like. Massaging an oil over your face helps to dissolve all the clogged oil and sebum trapped inside your skin. Once rinsed away, they take all the clogged oils in your skin with them. This works a lot better than trying to remove clogged oil with water and soap. The fact that cleansing oils remove other oily substances make them perfect for acne/clog prone skin.
Now if the sound of rubbing oil over your skin doesn’t sound very pleasant, it’s worth bearing in mind that cleansing oils emulsify. This means that, once they come into contact with water, they rinse away completely leaving absolutely no residue. Clever!
Who are they for?
Cleansing oils work particularly well for people with oily, acne-prone or clog-prone skin. Despite being oils, they can actually be a bit too drying for dry skin.
How do you use one?
1. DHC Cleansing Oil. The gold standard of cleansing oils, it’s Japanese and olive-oil based. Perfect if you’re acne prone, you may want to avoid this if you have dry skin though.
2. DHC Mild Cleansing Oil. The new mild version is packaged ridiculously but it works as well as the original and is slightly moisturising so go for this one if you have particularly dry skin.
3. Shu Uemura Cleansing Oils. Shu Uemura really propelled the popularity of cleansing oils both in Japan and here in the west. Their cleansing oils are all fantastic but incredibly overpriced. If they’re in your budget then definitely go for one, they come in various incarnations depending on skin type. I still prefer DHC over these ones though.
4. Fancl Mild Touch Cleansing Oil. This one’s great for sensitive and/or acne prone skin but it’s only available online. Affordable too!
5. MAC Cleanse Off Oil. One of the first Western brands to get cleansing oils right, this is perfect for most skin types. Other honourable mentions include Bobbi Brown who just released a nice cleansing oil that’s slightly moisturising.
So if you’re interested in cleansing oils, I highly recommend biting the bullet and ordering one. They’re great!