Using Vaseline on your face?
Vaseline, it's good stuff!
A lot of people wince at the suggestion of using good ol’ Vaseline on your face but it’s still one of the most often recommended products by dermatologists and surgeons. So let’s do a bit of Vaseline myth-busting and hopefully you’ll try it out tonight!
Firstly, let’s clear a couple of things up:
- Petrolatum isn’t safe to use on your skin. Not true! Cosmetics-grade mineral oil and petrolatum (like Vaseline) are actually considered the safest, most nonirritating moisturizing ingredients ever found. You’ll find hundreds of double-blind scientifically proven studies to support this and a grand total of 0 that prove otherwise.
- It clogs skin. Now it’s easy to guess why people would think this. Vaseline is thick, occlusive and you can almost imagine it sealing up your pores as you apply. This, however, doesn’t mean it’ll clog your pores. In fact, Vaseline is no more likely to clog your pores than any other ingredient you wish to list.
Why and how to use it?
- Vaseline is a fantastic occlusive, that means once it’s applied to the skin – no oxygen goes in and no moisture comes out. Since skin can’t breathe anyway (skin gets it’s oxygen from blood), all you have is something that’ll prevent moisture from escaping your skin.
- Vaseline works by keeping any existing moisture locked into your skin, like a barrier. It doesn’t produce it’s own moisture like a regular moisturiser though, and that’s why you’ll find that using Vaseline straight on your lips will only keep them soft for as long as you’re using it. The Vaseline itself isn’t providing any moisture to your dry lips so once it’s off, your lips will feel dry again.
- So how to use it? Vaseline is best used as something to seal in your moisturiser, helping it to work deeper and preventing any moisture from escaping the skin. Don’t use thick layers, just a thin layer over your regular moisturiser or serum will help to lock all that skincare goodness in. Try it yourself – if you have any dry areas on your skin, apply a moisturiser straight after showeing and then a thin layer of vaseline on top. You should wake up to incredibly smooth and soft skin.
- Other ways to use Vaseline? On your lips on top of a lip balm to hold in moisture and underneath your eyes to get the most out of your eye cream. Shaving cut? A little bit of this will still the flow of blood, boxers use it for that same effect! Many dermatologists suggest applying a thin layer all over your face in order to seal in beneficial moisturisers and serums at night.
So there you have it! Time to put that Vaseline to good use (ahem) and make the most out of your skincare! Give it a shot and tell me whether it worked.